Monday, January 31, 2022
Sunday, January 30, 2022
Jack and I made a quick trip to the library Saturday to pick up some books that had been ordered in for us. There was also a special Lunar New Year celebration that sounded interesting, so we scheduled our trip around that.
Pick up a take-out container filled with handmade dumplings, noodles, sticky sesame wings, rice cakes, and more. Stick around to make tiger masks and pellet drums, and be prepared for plenty of fun!
We enjoyed ourselves, learned some interesting things, and even walked out with lunch. :-)
While we were there, I took a few minutes to go to the Children's Section.
In 2013, I was honored to make a quilt for the re-opening of the library. I blogged about it HERE.
The quilt hangs on the back wall of the Children's Section and can be seen from the main area. Of course I've seen it many times over the years, but I hadn't really looked at it closely for quite some time.
Saturday, January 15, 2022
It's time to reveal my 2021 Color Challenge project!
Not only did we get awesome quilt block patterns, there were quarterly door prizes provided by some wonderful sponsors, we learned a lot about a nice variety of fruits and vegetables, and we even shared some delicious recipes.
All in all, it was a wonderful year!
Be sure to read all the way to the end of this post to find links to some of the other bloggers who are sharing their finished projects today.
I went a little rogue with my project this year and am quite happy with my choice.
I still made two blocks each month, but this year I made one 12" block and one 6" block. The 2021 theme was fruits and vegetables.
All of my 12" blocks were made using one consistent fabric (bright green) and one fabric that had the featured fruit or vegetable in it. There were a couple of months that I couldn't decide which fabric to use, so I made two 12" blocks that month. That was fun!
The mug rugs are all backed with the consistent green fabric used in the placemats so they work well with the placemats. Like the placemats, I made a couple of extra mug rugs and am that I did. As you can see, there are a few mug rugs that do not include the Mosaic fabric. When I started the project, I had a fat quarter bundle of the fabrics shown above. For some of the months I didn't have the right color, so I didn't use it. In those cases, I used the light mosaic fabric instead, and substituted a solid (or one that reads solid) fabric to correspond to that month's color.
The mug rugs were not bound. Instead, I stitched a 1/4" all around them to give the appearance of a binding.
Tuesday, January 11, 2022
I've been working on a couple of secret sewing projects and it's Reveal Day for one of them. I've shared some sneak peaks on social media over the last couple of weeks, but in case you missed them I'll share them here too.
Since I wasn't sure what I'd be getting, I'd only given a little thought as to what I was going to make. The plan was for me to add some of my own scraps and create a quilt. After seeing the scraps, I came up with a plan and decided to add one constant fabric, a very light green.
I then went to my "Small Scrap Bin" and pulled a variety of fabric and started cutting 1.5" x approx. 5.5" pieces. I stacked the cut pieces on one side of my pressing table so I could see if/when I needed to add a new color. This is a very mixed group of fabrics, but it's exactly what I wanted.
I have to laugh at the comments I received when I shared this picture on social media. Yes, it really is a jumbled mess of fabric and could actually have turned into a hot mess, but I was sure it would work. I got busy sewing and paid no real attention to which strips I pulled. They just had to contrast with the strips near it.
I completely forgot to take pictures of the small block units to show here, so I will just share the completed quilt now. I don't think this picture does it justice, but I think you get the idea.
I am very happy with the results!
I tried to take pictures outside because the lighting is so much better, but the wind and cold temperatures didn't want to cooperate, as you can see in the picture below.
Here are a few close ups of the quilt.
Speaking of pillows, I made a few extra blocks (on purpose because I wanted to have options while laying out the blocks), so I made two 18" pillows to go with the quilt.