Sunday, May 20, 2018

Hands2Help Quilts

It's time for the final link up of the 2018 Hands2Help Challenge and I'm happy to be donating four quilts this year. 

I've participated in this challenge for five of the eight years that it's been in existence and I feel that it is such an honor to be a part of it. I really can't thank Sarah (Confessions of a Fabric Addict), enough for all that she has done to organize this. Since 2011 when 47 quilters made and donated 60 quilts, to last year when 125 quilters made and donated 267 quilts, a grand total of 1034 quilts have been donated to those in need. Wonderful!

This year, I've decided to make my donations in honor of Ruth Hubbard, Jack's aunt who passed away November 5, 2107 at the age of 99. Aunt Ruth was such a kind and loving person and she always asked me about my quilting. I can't think of a better way to honor her than to pay it forward, help those in need, and donate quilts in her name. 

Ruth Hubbard, 3/22/1918 - 11/5/2017
From the first time I met her, I knew Aunt Ruth was a special person! She had a gentle spirit about her and always made me feel welcome. Ruth had a wonderful memory, and she and Jack spent many visits looking at old pictures, sharing stories from the past, and reminiscing about world events in general. Since Ruth was born in 1918, she had experienced so many things and it was especially fun to listen to her talk about the many changes she witnessed - including technology. Up until the last year of her life, Ruth used an iPad to keep in touch with family and friends and I do believe that she was much better at it than me.

Ruth had been a first grade teacher for many years and upon her death, a number of former students sent condolences commenting about what a special teacher she was. I have no doubt that was true. Because of her years of working with children, I was very happy to see that one of this year's charities is Little Lamb Foundation for Kids. The following two quilts are on their way to that foundation. 
        
This quilt was made using the Woven pattern by Cluck Cluck Sew. The multi-colored fabric in the center has guitars on it and I thought this might appeal to a youngster who enjoys music.  

Quilt, Woven Quilt, Cluck Cluck Sew, Baby Quilt, Music Quilt

I wanted to send a more masculine quilt and decided this one fit the bill. I sewed six large 16 patch blocks and simply added borders. I hope this brings joys to someone and provides a comforting "fabric hug."


Sixteen Patch

The follwing two quilts are on their way to Quilty Hugs for Happy Chemo


I made this first quilt as a class sample with the idea that it could be donated when it was no longer needed to advertise the class. I find this to be whimsical and cheery and hope it makes the recipient smile. 

Lap Quilt, Chevron, Chevron Quilt, Watermelon Quilt

Here's another musical themed quilt made using the Uptown Girl pattern by Creative Sewlutions. This was also made as a class sample with the intention of donating when it was no longer needed for display. 

Uptown Girl Quilt, Music Quilt, Lap Quilt, Creatvie Sewlutions

Last year, Sarah posted the following on her blog:


What does love look like?

It has the hands to help others.
It has the feet to hasten to the poor and needy.
It has eyes to see misery and want.
It has the ears to hear the sighs and sorrows of men.
That is what love looks like."

                                               St. Augustine  


Love also looks like people like Aunt Ruth. 

I am proud to honor her today and can only hope to be the kind of person she was - a kind and caring soul. Amidst all the sadness and ugliness in the world today, I'm happy to be a part of something so wonderful. 

Thank you Sarah for organizing this! Thank you to all the organizers of the charities, and thank you to everyone who has participated - quilters and sponsors alike. 

Check out the other donation quilts at Confessions of a Fabric Addict. Be sure to check back frequently, as people will be linking their quilt pictures all week. 

7 comments:

Louise said...

So many lovely quilts! You have a great stash of musical fabrics :) Thank you so much for generously donating these pieces to worth causes, and for being a sponsor for Hands2Help. Aunt Ruth would be so proud of you!

Vicki in MN said...

Wonderful quilts. I think Aunt Ruth is cheering you on from above.

Karen said...

Aunt Ruth is smiling. She knows you made beautiful Quilty Hugs.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

How wonderful to donate these in Ruth's memory.

Sarah Craig said...

Such beautiful quilts, and a great tribute to a beautiful lady! Thank you for your continued support of H2H!

BunkHouseQuilts said...

They are all very nice, it's fun to see all the H2H quilts this year!!

Knowledge Fire said...

I was at this place last week. This is such a joy as a place for food! I had a beautiful time at venues in Los Angeles. It reminded me of another center in the city. A beautiful, wonderful place that had excellent atmosphere.