Friday, May 22, 2015

Hand Sewing Progress

I like the idea of measuring time by how much hand sewing I get done rather than by a clock. It sounds much better to say that I almost pieced a complete Grandmother's Flower Garden block than that I waited for over 3 1/2" hours.  

While waiting for Jack at his eye doctor appointment, this is what I accomplished. 


Grandmother's Flower Garden, Reproduction Fabrics

I started the wait with none of this sewn together, and I'm very happy with what I accomplished, even though I had a mishap.

While I was sewing, an older couple asked what I was making and then we got to talking. For those of you who know me, I know you can't believe that I was talking to strangers, right?  :-)  Anyway, this is what happened while I wasn't paying attention.

Grandmother's Flower Garden, Reproduction Fabrics

Can you see that hexagon sewn on backwards?  I hate having to rip and re-sew because I wasn't paying attention. It didn't take much to fix it though, so it wasn't terrrible.

Grandmother's Flower Garden, Reproduction Fabrics

And it didn't take much for me to start paying attention to what I was doing. Of course that could be because the couple were called in to see the doctor.  :-) 

I'm going to finish this block in a little bit before going to bed; and then I'm going to do a quick count of how many of these I've done and how many more I need to make. 

I know this has been a long time in the making, but I'm looking forward to sewing these into a quilt - FINALLY!!

And there's more good news than just the fact that I got this block done. Jack's appointment, although long, went very well. The recent injections have been working and he can wait until August to get the next one. He's very happy about that and I can understand why. :-)

2 comments:

Suze said...

Aren't you glad that you caught the hexagon sewn in backward at this point instead of after the quilt was finished? Wow! Great progress on the GFG block and a great eye report. I've heard that eye injections can be painful and then I've heard it's more fear of pain. Glad to hear of two good reports!!!!

Unknown said...

I'm thinking about the fun I had taking this class with you! My classwork in patiently waiting for me to do something with it...I'm imagining a table runner. So glad to hear the good news about Jacks' eye appointment!