Friday, January 1, 2016

Friday Finishes

Happy New Year!

May 2016 find you happy, healthy and with lots of time to quilt!

2015 ended with some finishes and for that I am happy. It's been kind of crazy around here and the first few months of 2016 doesn't look like it will be much different. I've decided to look at this as a positive, as I could be struggling with things and not able to quilt or teach at all. :-)  

I finished a t-shirt quilt for a friend. She and her daughter started it, but soon ran into issues so they asked me to complete it for them. I was happy to do it and it's done and was delivered in time for Christmas, even if this picture doesn't show that. (I send them this picture to determine if they liked the border corners and forgot to take a picture when the quilt was completed. Oh well...)

t-shirt quilt

And, I finished and delivered this Carpenter's Star quilt, complete with embroidered names to my friend Janet. It was a gift for her mom. I love the fabrics in this quilt!

Carpenter's Star Quilt

And Brandon's quilt was presented to his twin brother and mom on Monday. This really was an emotional challenge for me.  I am glad I made it and hope that it brings comfort to the family.

Brandon's Quilt, Star Wars Quilt, Therapeutic Quilting

I hand-wrote a message to the family on the back of the quilt, along the binding.

Brandon's Quilt, Star Wars Quilt, Therapeutic Quilting


I promised Quinn and Sadie that they could sew a little bit over Christmas break. They each chose 6 strips of fabric from my "collection" (That's what they call my stash and I love it!), and sewed them together to make a baby quilt. I set up the machine with a guide for them to keep an accurate (or close to accurate) 1/4" seam allowance and they both did exceptionally well. Here they are showing Grandpa Jack what they've created.

Strip Quilting, Quilting with Kids

Sadie decided that she thinks hers could be used by Bailey when her baby doll isn't using it. She's trying out the size to make sure it will work. They do love their sister!  :-)

Strip Quilting, Quilting with Kids

I did the actual quilting for them (in the ditch) and they love them. Since we finished these right before supper, the girls asked if these quilts could be used for placemats too and since I said yes, it was decided that I (or we) need to make one for Ronan. I think I'll try to do that later today. 

Strip Quilting, Quilting with Kids

I love this backing fabric and have just enough to make Ronan's placemat and maybe one more. 

Strip Quilting, Quilting with Kids

And finally, although not quilt-related, I am happy to say that I'm thrilled to have finished with what I hope will be first of many purging episodes. 


My sisters and I challenged ourselves to do some "housekeeping" and here's what my car looked like when Jack and I made a trip to Goodwill yesterday. Feels good!

Do you have any Friday Finishes to share? 
I'd love to see them.

Hooking up to 

3 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

What cutie bugs! That is a super purge!! Something I need to do.

Annie said...

Happy New Year to you also.
Nice quilts that you have completed. And that purge!! I'm almost there with you.

3Dogbones said...

You are so talented and it is so nice you share that talent is so many ways. I love sewing with the little ones. It is so fun and rewarding!
Let the purge continue! :)