Monday, August 15, 2016

Design Wall Monday

We had a couple of stormy day over the weekend and it was kind of gloomy. We are fortunate that we don't have flooding, but I also didn't see a rainbow after the storms. Feeling the need for some color and brightness, I created my own rainbow.



Quick and easy! This puppy is ready to be quilted!

I have somewhat of a problem, in that I like to start new projects. Whether the project is one that I need to make for a class sample or one that I just really like and feel the need to start it (see the rainbow quilt above), I sometimes get sidetracked and end up with a bunch of unfinished projects or have multiple projects out at the same time. That may not sound like an issue or problem, but it can be for me. I tend to leave the works in progress out and then my sewing area looks like a disaster area. 

I am in "finish it up" mode and am happy to have spent some time this weekend organizing projects. Now I am not saying that I am only going to work on UFOs. Oh no! I plan to be working on a UFO while I am working on another project. I'll use the UFO as a leader/ender project or as a "I need a break and want to work on something different" project. Either way, I'm happy with my organization and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it works and I don't drop the ball.

Even though I am working on UFOs, I'm also trying to challenge myself to try new techniques. I tried some curved piecing when I worked on the Desire to Inspire Challenge projects and really enjoyed the technique; plus I was very happy with the outcome.



I decided to try it again; but this time I am adding some other piecing to the mix. This is a much more modern piece and I am struggling a bit with it. I'm not going to give up, I'm just not totally happy with it yet.  


My idea was to have this piece be like I was in a tree and the background (green) is all the leaves. The brown pieces are the tree branches. I was trying to portray the branches poking through a bunch of leaves, hence the green strips interspersed with the brown. I plan to do a fair amount of thread work to blend the branches better and to make the background look like leaves. Wish me luck!

The piece isn't quite as square as the picture above shows, but it's not quite this rectangular either. Either way, I think you can see what I'm doing.


I just realized that I didn't take a picture after I added a bit of sky to parts of the top of this. Oh well, I'll post that later. I've got this layered and I'm contemplating how I'm going to do the quilting.

What are you working on today?

Check out the quilting eye candy over at

Judy L's Patchwork Times

and


4 comments:

Miaismine said...

I love your rainbow quilt! What a creative way to highlight those fabrics that we love and hate to cut up!

m. said...

It was completely obvious to me that you were in a big tree at first glance. It will be interesting to see where you take this, but part of me wants just this simple rendition of a tree!! (this note written as I'm visiting my youngest daughter's--newly adult twins. They are off to work, I am on a sewing vacation. Bridesmaid dresses and curtains for their large windows in their upper flat. I tell them this apartment is like living in a tree house! Large windows in every room look out into tree canopy. But curtains are good for dressing privacy.) will try to follow you to see how this wonderful quilt progresses!

Bonnie said...

Your rainbow quilt top is wonderful... bright, happy, cheerful ... lots of happy adjectives can be used to describe this. I too like to have two and sometimes 3 projects going at the same time. And for the same reasons: leader ender, and relieve boredom. Also, I can work on new projects and UFOs that way. Although I am trying mightily to not start too many new projects. I really need to finish UFOs. I'm interested to see where you go with your tree.

Suze said...

Great idea to use leader/ender as way of working on UFOs. I adore the rainbow quilt. It's unseasonable cool in our part of OK (Tulsa area) right now. We need the relief. It's been a hot, hot summer. I think my electric bill is the highest it's ever been. Of course, I've lived alone for several years. Last October my son moved home and upstairs, so now that a/c runs no stop. In March, his 2 1/2 year old daughter came to live with us, so my life of quiet is lively now. No complaints. I have a rainbow all the time now.