Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Veterans Day Recap

Friday, I was honored to present some Quilts of Valor during the Monroeville School District Veterans Day assembly. This is the third year that I've done this and am thrilled to report that to date, 33 quilts have been presented to area veterans. Not all of the quilts have been presented during the assembly, as there are always a few veterans that would rather receive the quilt privately. 

Here's a picture of this year's recipients.



Included in this picture are the school principals (one of them received a quilt two years ago), the superintendent, the teacher who supervises the assembly planning, and the two students (Allie and Conlin) who helped plan the assemble and present the quilts.  

While we were scheduled to have seven veterans in attendance for the presentation, two had medical issues that did not allow them to participate. They, along with four other veterans received their quilts Friday afternoon. That means that this year eleven veterans were "covered" with quilts.

Because I was part of the program, I didn't have the opportunity to take pictures. I did however, manage to get a picture of the service flags after they were carried in by local Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts. Unfortunately, I could not get the US flag in the picture because it was out of my camera range. Nevertheless, this is one of my favorite pictures.



After the ceremony, we presented a special quilt to a local gold star family. Their son was killed in action and Allie had met them this past summer. She was touched by them and their story and asked me if I could get them a quilt. Of course I said yes. 

Here's the quilt. 



This is a duplicate of a quilt that I made for the Blank Quilting American Honor challenge. I think it was perfect for the family. The American Honor fabric line is great to use for Quilts of Valor. There is a second line, American Honor II that will be available early next year and I'm already making sketches of how I'll use that.



I have pictures of the individual quilts, but I'll save those for another post.

I am proud and honored to be a part of this event. It is such a privilege to present these quilts.

Since Allie is a senior and will be graduating, Conlin and I are already planning things for next year.  

1 comment:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Great photos of a special event. The last quilt is spectacular and perfect for those folks, blessings to all who participate in this venue.