Sunday, December 22, 2019

2020 Color Challenge - There will be Prizes!

I'm participating in the 2020 Color Challenge and am excited!


I had a lot of fun this year and know that next year is going to be even more fun. HERE is more information from our hostess Jen of Patterns by Jen. 

Just like last year, I've jumped right in and signed up for months early in the year. I will be blogging about the challenge in January, February, and June. Of course I plan to blog about it every month, but those are the months for which I've committed.  :-) 

Like I did for 2019, I've signed up to complete the quilt and blog about that too. And just because I can, I am making two blocks per month and plan to make two quilts. 

So what does this all mean?

Each month, Jen will pick a color and a block and she will provide instructions on how to make that block. There are actually three options of colors this year - 
Original Version - two different shades of the same color
Black Background - two colors, but the background will be black
White Background - I'm guessing you can figure this out, right? 

Last year, I used fabrics from my stash, but I decided to mix it up a bit this year and only my background fabrics are from my stash. I also decided that all of the colors would be batiks and that all of those would be purchased from the same shop. I knew that I would be traveling to Once Upon a Quilt in Ft. Lauderdale in early December, so I decided to purchase all the batiks there and use the resulting quilts as a way to remember my trip. 




I had a blast during my workshop there, and met some wonderful people, especially Lisa, the owner. I'll share more about my trip and the shop each month, which will help keep me motivated and focused all year long. 

Besides me, am awesome group of bloggers have agreed to write up blog posts about the blocks and colors each month. This will allow you to see the block made up in all the same colors, but from different fabrics. I can't wait to see that! 


Jen is very clever and the 2020 colors have been assigned a bird to represent it. I think this is a great way to figure out what the color actually looks like. I just did a search of the birds and had a great visual for the color I'm trying to match. 

Like 2019, I'll provide some basic information about the bird including its habitat, sounds, and symbolism. If you've been reading my blog for any length of time, you know that my grandchildren LOVE to feed the birds and to watch them from our back room. I'm excited to be able to learn a lot about a lot of birds while making a beautiful quilt.  


Here are the 2020 Colors

2020 Monthly Colors

January - Finch (yellow)
February - Indigo Bunting (teal)
March - Oriole (orange)
April - Honey Creeper (purple)
May - Budgerigar (green)
June - Blue Bird (blue)
July -American Robin (rust)
August - Flamingo (pink)
September - Cinnamon Teal (cinnamon)
October - Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Olive)
November - Buff-breasted Sandpiper (buff)
December - Cardinal (red)

Here are Jen's Fabrics
(She has two for each month because she's doing the original version.)


Here are my fabrics
(Oops! I have a couple of fabrics out of place.) 


I am using a black batik for one background (top of picture) and a white on white print that I had in my stash for the other set of blocks. It's hard to see, but I decided to use the wrong side of the white fabric because I like it better. :-)

I know that you've been reading a lot and are wondering about the prizes that I mentioned earlier. There will be quarterly prizes this year, and all you have to do to be entered is join the link ups during the months within that quarters. (One link up enter per quilter each month, please.)

There are lots of sponsors, which means lots of prizes! 
Check out Jen's Blog for a list of sponsors. :-) 

So, are you going to join the fun and put lots of Color into 2020?

No comments: