Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Conversion is Complete

I think I have just made the real commitment/conversion to being a scrap quilter. Notice the "Tub o' Batting" that's been sitting around my sewing room.



I've been telling myself that I'll cut this up and use it for rag quilts. Well I have another tub full of rag quilt batting squares, plus a bag full and honestly I don't think that I need any more right now. Seriously, when was the last time I made a rag quilt? It's probably been a year! The pieces in the tub are pretty big, which is probably the reason I didn't cut them up as soon as they were produced. These pieces are just not big enough to be used in any of the quilts I've been working on lately.

Well, last night as I was layering a project that measures 60" x 70" I noticed the "Tub o' Batting" and decided to piece the batting instead of create yet another odd shaped piece. Now I know that many quilters have been piecing their batting scraps for a long time (bravo to all of you), but I've been blessed to have a fairly large sewing room and storing the scraps was not a problem. I don't know what made me do it, but I pulled out three pieces and started sewing them together.



While piecing this batting, something came over me. I realized that I've just been playing with being a scrap quilter and using up stash. I had to admit to myself that besides fabric, I also have a stash of batting that I can use. (Trust me, I won't count this in my stash reports, but I feel pretty darn good about using up this stuff.)



I just finished quilting and binding the project that used this pieced batting and I'll post a picture later when there's someone here to hold the quilt while I take a picture.

No comments: