Monday, February 7, 2011

Design Wall Monday

Trade Winds is up in the design wall today.

I hope to get these blocks all joined today and add at least the first border. I don't think I have any fabric here for the second border, but I'll spend some time this afternoon checking out the stash to see if I do.

I found fabric to add one more row to the bottom because I really disliked the unfinished look that the original pattern had. Check out what I mean here. Since I used a Bali Pops pack, I had to search my stash for something that would blend ok. What I found while doing this is that I really don't have much in the way of brown or yellow batiks. I think I need to rectify that soon. :-)

I really should get working on my two UFOs for the month, especially since it's a short month, but I really wanted to make this quilt! There's always tomorrow, right?

Check out what other quilters are working on by going to Judy L.'s Patchwork Times.

7 comments:

Tamera said...

I like those browns!

Annie said...

You are right! The quilt looks strange without the lower row. Why would the designer stop the design the way she did?

Unknown said...

I should be working on my UFO's too, but noooooooooooo, I had to start a new project too!

Sue Daurio said...

oh it looks soooo much better with the addition you made. I do the same thing. Love your colors.

Happy Quilter said...

LOVE this quilt. Where did you get "Tradewinds" pattern?

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That quilt looks wonderful!

Joanne said...

I found this pattern by going to the Hoffman website. Unfortunately it is no longer listed as free, but I think you can still get it by going to http://cheryl.thisbe.org/Patterns.html Under the index, go to the Jelly Rolls (2.5" strips) and the pattern is the 6th one listed. The reason that the original designer stopped the pattern when she did is because she was working with a Bali Pop and I'm sure she ran out of fabric,