Sunday, February 20, 2011

Stash Report - Week 8

I bought a lot of fabric this week (32 yards), but the good news (I guess you can call it that), is that it wasn't all for me. Only 6 yards of it made it's way to my sewing room and some of that has already been used.

This wasn't a very "quilty" week for me and unfortunately I think that may be the case for the next couple of weeks because I'm working a lot of hours to cover for someone who is having hip surgery. (I'm choosing to look at this in a positive light. I'll make a lot of money that could potentially be used to buy fabric!)

Most of my used fabric this week was because of pillowcases I made while practicing with the serger that has been lurking in my sewing room for almost a year now - never touched by me in the form of sewing, just fondling saying "I don't know how to use you, but you sure are pretty. Can you run by yourself?". I'd never used a serger and never really thought that I needed one but this was given to me and it just never did start sewing on its own so I finally took a very basic serger class and I enjoyed that. I still don't think I'll use it much because I don't do clothing construction anymore, but hey, the thing was cheap (free, actually!). The machine is not a high end machine, but it will certainly do the little things that I will make - like pillowcases, bags, napkins, etc.

Anyway, here's the report.
Fabric Added This Week: 6.00 yards
Fabric Added to Date: 38.00 yards
Fabric Used This Week: 7.50
Fabric Used to Date: 56.625
Net Fabric Used for 2011: 18.625 yards
UFOs Done, Done, Done (Pieced, Quilted, and Bound): 3
UFOs Still to Do: ???
New Quilts Done, Done, Done (Pieced, Quilted, and Bound): 2

Check out how other quilters are using their stash by going to Judy L.'s Patchwork Times.

2 comments:

Marti said...

I would LOVE to know how you found a serger course. I bought an older serger and can't figure out how to use it, even with the manual. I haven't been able to find a shop that gives a lesson unless I buy the machine there.

Joanne said...

There is a local shop that services all kinds of machines and she offers three levels of serger classes. It just so happened that I took my daughter's old Singer sewing machine in for repairs and talked to her about the serger. The class was on the schedule and there was still room. I really lucked out!