Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Tip Tuesday!

Welcome to
"Tip Tuesday!" - Odd Bindings


I love learning new things and then sharing that knowledge with my quilting friends. So, every Tuesday I'll provide some tips, hints, tricks, tutorials, shortcuts, etc. that I've learned over the years and share them here on the blog. 

"Tip Tuesday" will be a collection of information about a wide variety of subjects garnered from a large variety of sources.  I am not an expert by any means and do not take credit for being the great wizard behind all of these hints and tips. I will gladly give due credit whenever possible.

These tips will be archived and accessible to you just by clicking on the "Tip Tuesday" tab above. 

Read, enjoy, and be inspired! 

I like to bind quilts! 

There, I said it. I know for many people, binding is boring, tedious work, but I have always liked to bind.

Although I had bound quilts with irregular shapes and odd angles, I never felt that I did them well. Recently I've been intrigued with triangle quilts and unless you trim off and even out the sides, you are going to have to deal with odd angles when it comes time to add the binding.

I am ready to quilt this quilt.


My plan was to take pictures of the binding process, especially the inside corners and post that "tutorial" here for Tip Tuesday! I was pleasantly surprised when Lorna over at Sew Fresh Quilts posted a tutorial on this exact topic. Rather than reinvent the wheel, I decided to add her link here for today's Tip Tuesday! 

http://sewfreshquilts.blogspot.ca/2014/04/binding-inside-corners-tutorial.html

Now, please don't hold me to my plan to get this quilt quilted and bound. It will happen, but I'm not sure when. Of course maybe if I had not seen Lorna's post I would be more motivated to get this down, but who knows. T\I'm guessing that the chances of me finishing this are actually pretty good because  really like the quilt, so I guess you should check back often to see how well I've been able to stay on task. I would suggest though, that no money or bartering about this topic because although I really want to finish it, it may have to sit and mature a little bit longer.

If you've bound an irregular shaped quilt, I'd love to see it and hear your procedure for attaching the binding.

Have a great day and enjoy yourself!  :-)

No comments: