Monday, October 13, 2014

Design Wall Monday

Remember last week when this...



became this?



Well, now it's this.


I added the borders last night and even though I was not thrilled about the gradation not working out perfectly, I'm over that now. I was going to stop after the colored fabric border and bind in black, but on a whim I put up a small black border and really liked it. They are on and I love how it looks.

I'll piece the backing using the left over fabrics and then make some decisions on how I'm going to quilt this. Overall, I'm pretty happy how this is turning out, even if it is a square quilt. :-)

Last week I also showed half of the John Deere log cabin quilt. I have all the blocks put together in rows and just need to add the borders. I did not have a chance to take a picture of that, but will do so after the borders are attached.

There is something else on the wall. 

I'm playing around with making hexagons using the 60 degree triangle ruler by Creative Grids. So far I like this version better than the next one.


I like the pinwheel effect, but maybe not just with these fabrics.


On Tuesday, I'm giving a presentation about using this 60 degree triangle ruler to an area guild. Many of them have purchased the ruler and not used it because they weren't sure how. Others have used it for one project (table runner) and that's it.


One of the members knew that I had offered a series of table runner classes using the ruler as well as a quilt class. She also knew that I've been playing around hoping to come up with at least one more quilt to make using this same ruler. (I try to have multiple projects and classes for specialty rulers so students don't feel like they've wasted money.) My intention is that once I finish at least one of the hexagon quilts above, I will offer that as a class. 

Here are some picture of the table runners. These runners were a real hit this summer. I offered a different runner every two weeks and every single class was full. :-)

The vegetable runner was made using the Easy Striped Table Runner pattern while the other ones were made using various Triangle Frenzy patterns. These were fun and they make great gifts!





Here are two quilts I've made using this ruler.

This first one was made using a fat quarter bundle (Thanks Alice!) and an alternating solid white fabric. Simple but intriguing is what I think about this quilt.


This next quilt is my purple version of Equal Rights by Swirly Girls Designs.


I know I'll have fun at the presentation and sure hope I can encourage some of the members to use those rulers they bought way back when.

Check out what other quilters have on their design walls today.

Go to Judy L's Patchwork Times

2 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I am not fond of making square quilts either. But this is lovely and really has a nice pop to it. I have to look into this fabric - always like to find something to play with my Kona black.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Wow!! Those triangle quilts are amazing! Some look drawn rather than fabric - impressive.