Sunday, April 15, 2018

Breezy Quilts - Original and Two Variations

As promised, here are pictures of the Breezy quilt completed. You can see the story about this quilt HERE and HERE

I really like this quilt! 




The quilting was done by my friend Judy and she did an awesome job. I think this pantograph, Zephyr, is perfect. 


I was worried about the low-contrast part of the pinwheel, but I like it now. 


I did change the border from the original one in the pattern; but I believe that this border option will be written into the final pattern, which will be released later this month.

I knew that I wanted to make a baby size version of this quilt and when I saw one of the other pattern testers use a panel, I decided to use my Skylines panel by Hoffman Fabrics. Of course I also had to make two quilts, because what else would I do with the other half of the panel?

I made a few modifications to the pinwheel sides of these quilts. On one of the quilts, I added a barrier strip of fabric between the two halves because I was running low on the pinwheel fabrics. 


I used a single fabric for most of the pinwheels, but then added a few pinwheels made from musical notes fabric. (I may have to call this "Whistle While You Work."


The panel side is quilted in random vertical lines with grey thread, while the pinwheel side is quilted in the ditch of the pinwheels with the same grey thread.




The second quilt was made using a variety of background and pinwheel fabrics and it "moves" from a racing flag fabric in the bottom right up through the stages of a busy day in the city all the way to the colorful and fun nightlife.





 


I quilted the panel side with a variety of thread colors in random vertical lines, and the pinwheel side is quilted with meandering stitches in thread to match the background fabrics.  






I love this colorful gradation binding!



I wanted to see what it looked like with the quilts together, as I was originally playing with the idea of combining them into one larger quilt, but decided against it.




I had so much fun with these two quilts and can't decide if I like them better than the king version.

2 comments:

Suze said...

I had already seen snippets of the Breezy Quilt and liked it, so it was not a complete "aha moment" for me. I do like the low contrast fabrics in it. I love what looks on my monitor as aqua. It looks similar to the color of my living room/dining room walls. It is very calming. I really like the quilts made with the panels. This is a new to me way to use a panel. It gave new excitement to me to see a new way for a panel to be used. All of the quilters I have seen have used a panel or a portion of a panel and then jazzed it up with rounds and rounds about it. Thanks for a new look at an older technique of using a panel. I'm glad that you commented on why you used the solid strip of bias. I had jumped to the assumption it was because of the need for a seam allowance of each side of the cut of the bias and if you cut the panel on the exact 1/2 way on that diagonal, there would not be a seam line for either quilt. Thanks for the information you included.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Beautiful quilts; I think the king size version is stunning and it's fun you were able to create two variations as well!