Monday, December 17, 2018

Design Wall Monday

Having finished my Star Patch Quilt, I decided to pull out my Elephant Abstractions quilt that I started right around Thanksgiving. As soon as I returned home from the Escape to the Ridge retreat, that project got set aside and I have not touched it since. 


I am not going to let that sit, so I'm going to work on that as well as work on the square version of the Star Patch quilt as a leader/ender project. I already have a bunch of the nine patch blocks done. I made more last night and will do a count later, but I think I only need five more. After that, I'll start the center and the star. This project goes really fast once the nine patches are made, so I should have that top done by the end of the week. 

Back to Elephant Abstractions! Have you seen Violet Craft's wonderful projects? I love her work! Even if you don't like paper piecing, you've got to admit that her quilts are amazing. 

I've got a few of her patterns and when two friends asked if I would help them with the elephant during the retreat, I quickly said, "Yes!"

Here's Violet's original elephant quilt.


My friend Carol made the lion quilt a while back and I LOVE her version. 


I love her fabric choices, especially the background. And check out those eyes!  

Another friend, Sharon, made the elephant, but I can't find the picture I took. Her quilt is stunning also. 

Like the Star Patch Quilt, these quilts are not very large. The elephant will finish approx. 54" x 60", so I'm thinking about adding borders to enlarge it but I'll make that decision when I'm done with the piecing. 

What are you working on this week?

Check out the quilters eye candy at 


and

2 comments:

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Oh, great choices for your Elephant quilt. It will be lovely to see it come together.

Ramona said...

The colors you have chosen for your elephant quilt are awesome.It's going to be a beautiful elephant! I've looked at that pattern, but really do not like paper piecing. The quilt is gorgeous,though, so I may cave one day!