Monday, April 27, 2020

Design Wall Monday

I have completed my Peaks and Valleys quilt and I love it!


At the beginning of this pandemic, I decided to take a couple of online classes. Not only did I want to learn new things, I also wanted to support teachers like me who have had their classes come to a screeching halt. 

Since I test patterns for Tammy Silvers of Tamarinis and she was offering a variety of online events/classes, etc., I decided to dive in and have fun. I watched a couple of her free Facebook Live and then signed up for her Scrap Bracelet class. I posted about that a couple of weeks ago


After that class, I signed up for the Peaks and Valleys class. I'd seen the pattern before and thought it looked fun. I pulled all of the fabric from my stash and was happy to be able to have enough that looked Halloween, but didn't "scream" it.  I decided that I wanted the quilt to be a little wider than called for, so I added an extra column to the left side.


For the quilting, I wanted it to be simple, so I quilted lines echoing the piecing. The lines are sewn at random intervals, which made it so easy for me. 


Here's a shot of the back. 


It was kind of windy, so getting some good pictures was kind of challenging. 



I love the orange binding on this quilt! I don't usually pull my binding until after the top is made and even quilted. But, this time I pulled it while picking my fabrics. I was hopeful that it would work, and I'm so glad that it did. It's a fun orange with small white dots on it; and it's VERY old fabric. 


While participating in these Facebook Live events and taking classes, I learned more than just quilting. I've paid close attention to the actual production of the classes and have ventured into the world of video tutorials. I've started small and I'm not very professional at all, but I'm having fun. I'm hosting a FREE Spring Table Runner Sew Along for Chestnut Ridge. Here's a sketch of the runner that we are making. This is the short version, but I'm offering it in a longer size too. HERE'S a couple pictures of the long runners.


If you want to join the fun, go to the Friends of Chestnut Ridge Sewing's Facebook page. We are in the second week of the three-week sew along, but you can still join any time. The files and videos will remain on the page, so you can even refer back to it when/if you decide to make a second runner. A quick note about the videos. I love quilting and am much better at that than making videos. I am learning as I go and having fun doing it. I hope you do too.   ðŸ˜Š

What are you working on today?

Check out the Quilters' Eye Candy at



and 

Beth's Monday Making

1 comment:

PaintedThread said...

Peaks and Valleys is a pretty quilt. The orange binding goes great - love the way you quilted it, too.