Monday, August 10, 2020

Design Wall Monday

 I've been working on a couple of secret sewing projects that I can't show, but I can show you this...

This package of goodies arrived last week and I was excited to get sewing. Can you tell that the pieces were already cut for me? WooHoo!


The first thing I did was sew a bunch of half square triangles. It was easy and fast because the triangles were already cut.


I can't show you anything else, but the top is done and I love it! It will be heading back to the designer later today and I can't wait for the pattern to be released. 

I had to put Layne's quilt aside because I decided to make a change in the design and I need to make a fabric change. I think I have what I need in my stash, but I haven't looked yet. 

Instead, I started working on Peyton's elephant quilt. The final quilt will be a combination of three different patterns, mixed in with a little of my own design. The solid yellow will be a frame around what you see here and then I'll add at least one border after that. I'll have to see it and make decisions as I go. 


While I have gotten a chance to do some sewing lately, it's not as much as I'd hoped. Two weeks ago, Jack picked a fight with a wasp, and lost big time. Not only did he get stung, but swatting at it, he lost his balance, fell, and broke his left ankle. He is home with a pretty titanium plate in his ankle, along with seven shiny screws. He is "enjoying" life using a walker and wheelchair and the frequent visits from a nurse and physical therapist. He will continue to be non-weight bearing for at least two more weeks, so life has been interesting. The good news is that he's been able to catch up on his Spanish novel reading. He's on his third book already and his reading skills and vocabulary have really improved.  


While getting the house ready for his return, I swapped out a wall hanging and put up the LOVE quilt I made a year or so ago. I've pinned a couple of love notes and pictures from the grandkids to the quilt. This is hanging next to the bed that was moved downstairs for Jack. I smile every time I look at this!

Lynn and family stopped over the other day so I could run a couple of errands. Ty mowed the lawn and the three older kids spent some time in the back yard playing, but came in the house to do some crafts when Ty was ready to mow there. I snapped this picture right before I left. 


Avery made this "little piece of art" (that's what she called it) out of an old embroidery hoop, some rubber bands, yarn, and scraps of paper. It looks great hanging in the kitchen window. 


What are you working on this week?

Check out the quilters' eye candy at

Judy's Small Quilts and Doll Quilts

and

Beth's Monday Making


3 comments:

Rebecca Grace said...

Peyton's elephant quilt looks adorable, Joanne! So sorry to hear about Jack's awful wasp incident. My goodness -- that wasp must be bragging to all of his little wasp friends: "I really showed HIM!!"

Bonnie said...

So sorry for Jack's overwhelming wasp incident. Hum, I wonder if he'll be able to laugh at it by next year? The elephant quilt looks so cute. Would you like to put Peyton's name on the quilt? You could move the elephant over and add that. (Not an original idea of mine -- I've seen quite a few quilts with names on them recently.) Take care of yourself and Jack and hope you can get more sewing done.

For the love of geese said...

That is so cute, I love the yellow you have paired with it.