Monday, August 24, 2020

School Colors - Secret Sewing Reveal

 This isn't on my design wall right now, but it was recently one of my secret sewing projects that is now complete. The timing of the reveal is perfect, as it's that time of year that kids are headed back to the classroom.

Introducing...

School Colors


This pattern is now available in both 
print and pdf version at 
Busy Hands Quilts.



Just like every other quilt I've made using one of Myra's pattern, this was so easy to follow and her illustrations are wonderful. The pattern includes two sizes (throw and twin); and they both perfect for kids going off to college or when you want to show your school spirit and stay warm at the same time. Unlike many patterns that require more blocks to be made to increase the size, the twin size is made using the same number of blocks, just a larger size. How cool is that? 

Here are a few pictures of Myra's completed quilt. 
 
School Colors - Image from Busy Hands Quilts


School Colors - Image from Busy Hands Quilts

Check out that quilting! 

School Colors - Image from Busy Hands Quilts

As you know, I always like to take pictures of the quilts I make from side angles. 


And a look from the other side...


One of the coolest things about this quilt is that the blue stars are not pieced as star blocks. They are created with some awesome pieced sashing. WooHoo!

You all know that I am a sucker for a good red, white, and blue quilt, so I'll be making my own version of this soon because it will make a great Quilt of Valor. But, I am also thinking that this would be a great quilt to make for a school fundraiser. All you need are the two school colors and a background/accent, and you are good to go. If you are having a difficult time visualizing this, Myra has provided some samples in a variety of colors. Check it out HERE.

School Colors - Image from Busy Hands Quilts

You can get your own copy of School Colors at Busy Hands Quilts.
While you're there, sign up for her newsletter. 

Check out Myra's Facebook page for more pictures of this beautiful quilt. 
You won't be sorry you did! 

So, what IS on my design wall today?

I finished Peyton's elephant quilt top. I'm got the back ready to sew and then it's time to quilt this puppy elephant. :-)


I've been playing around with a small project that I can use for teaching a very basic paper piecing class, and this is what I've come up with. After I took this picture, I layered it, quilted it, and have the binding sewn on. I'll hand stitch that down later today. 

 
I did finish the Picket Fence quilt top that I showed last week. Since I was using up leftover pieces of a layer cake (10" squares), my quilt is smaller than the pattern size. I was toying with the idea of adding a border, but I opted against that and am happy with my choice. Without thinking, I took it off the wall before I remembered to get a picture.  I hope to get this quilted and bound by mid-week, so I'll get some pictures then.


What are you working on today?

Check out the Quilters Eye Candy at


and

3 comments:

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Peyton's elephant quilt top looks wonderful, and congratulations on being able to share secret sewing. It's hard to keep a fun project secret!

AnnieO said...

Great eye (quilt) candy on the blog! The upsized block rather than more blocks is brilliant. Happy Stitching!

Bonnie said...

I keep seeing great quilts by Myra that testers have made. This is another winner. I love your elephant quilt.Peyton is going to love it.