Monday, April 16, 2012

Design Wall Monday

Wow, this past week has been very busy/crazy!

Last Monday, I showed the progress of my Amazon Star and I had hoped to spend some quality time finishing that, but of course that didn't happen. I did have the chance to do more, but not finish. Here's where it stands. I only have the final two corners to add, and I just need to take the time to do them.


UPDATE:  Click here to see a picture of the finished quilt top.
It's funny but there are two fabrics that I was unsure about - the lightest green and one of the light background fabrics in the outer border. As usual, I fret for a while and then end up liking them. Do you do that? Anyway, I'm loving this quilt and have begun thinking about the actual quilting part. Any ideas?

Here are a couple of things that had to move to the front of the line, thus pushing the Amazon Star back a bit. Here's a quilt that I finished and quilted for my friend Mary. She needed it for a baby shower this past weekend. She picked up this fabric at Tennessee Quilts while we were there for the Judy Niemeyer workshop. This is so quick and easy. I may just have to make one or two of these. They make great baby gifts and I should always have one or two on hand, don't you think?


I had fun quilting this. I outine-quilted around the fish, fins, and tails and then mimicked the seaweed in the borders. The binding is the fish fabric and I think it works perfectly to bring out the colors. Love this!!

Ok, I also finished Quinn's birthday quilt and we gave it to her when we were there this past weekend. Besides the quilt, we also gave her a couple of Dr. Suess books. I think she likes it!


This is just a panel to which I added borders, but it it so darn cute. I usually don't enjoy working with panels. I often find that they are not printed on grain and that the quilt looks skewed when it's complete, but this panel wasn't too bad. Besides, I know this will be used and loved rather than critiqued and that's what's most important. I think the picture below proves my point. I guess this quilt is well on its way to doing its job. It put everyone to sleep! Isn't Ronan so cute? I love new babies!


I took a bunch of pictures this weekend and I'm still going through them. I'm the first to admit that I'm really a bad photographer.  There are pictures where I was trying to get Nikki, Quinn, Sadie and Ronan together, but someone either has their eyes closed, is moving, or I've cut off the top of their head. ARGGGGG. Can I blame it on the fact that I was trying to work with a newborn, and two kids under the age of four? It's worth a try. Besides, Nikki has some pictures she's going to forward to me and I know they're good.  :-)

 Even though I don't have the pictures to prove it, we had a wonderful time. What could be better? I was with my husband, two daughters, three grandkids and even got to spend time with Mom! 

 Check out what other quilters have on their design walls today.
Go to Judy L's Patchwork Times.



3 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Your Amazon Star is just stunning! But who can't love Dr. Seuss?

Eden said...

Love that star! what a knock out. And yes... I fret about a certain fabric and it ends up being the one that 'makes' the quilt. Sometimes it is those stand outs that don't seem to fit that end up being the spark. Great job.

kwiltnkats said...

Oh my gosh...I'm so happy you found time to finish your Amazon Star. Its gorgeous! Sandi