Monday, May 27, 2013

Design Wall Monday

I finished both the T-Shirt quilt and the OSU quilt that were up last week. The T-Shirt quilt is quilted, bound and with it's new owner. This quilt was too big (90" x 110") to have Jack hold it by himself so he's got it hanging off the balcony so I could get a picture.  :-) Thanks, Dear!

 
The recipient is a swimmer and I thought that the Seaweed pantograph (I forget the designer's name - sorry!) looked like waves, so that's how I quilted it. What do you think?
 
 
The OSU quilt top is complete and ready for quilting as soon as I get the backing. I have fabric for the binding, but I'm going to wait until its quilted to get it ready because I might change my mind once I get the backing or after it's quilted. Speaking of quilting this, I think I'm going to stipple in the letters with coordinating thread and diagonally quilt the rest. Or, if I wait too long and this has to be done in a hurry, I may just choose a pantograph and quilt an all-over design. I'll post a picture when it's totally done so you can see what I decided to do. Details about this pattern can be found in this post.
 
 
Now for what's on the design wall right now....
 
Remember this post when I said I was working on scrappy nine patch blocks as a leader/ender project while working on the blocks for the OSU quilt? Well I finished the blocks and decided that I would make them into a disappearing nine patch quilt. I cut all the blocks and just tossed the units up on the design wall tonight to get an idea of what it would look like. 
 
 
I'm not going to fret about placement here, but if you see something that really looks out of place please let me know. I may just throw caution to the wind and start sewing them together and not even try to rearrange. Since I used charm packs that I had here, the nine patch blocks were pretty big (14") so each of these units is 7" -  unfinished. If I don't add any borders, this quilt will measure 52" x 65".  I have the black fabric that is used within the quilt, but I'd have to buy border fabric and that might be just enough reason to simply bind this in black and be done with it. Again, I guess we'll see how I feel and then I'll post pictures.
 
I may work on this later today, but in honor of Memorial Day, I'm going to begin a Quilts of Valor project. I'll post pictures later today of that progress.
 
Check out what other quilters have on their design walls today.
Go to Judy L's Patchwork Times. 

6 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

What a wonderful T-shirt quilt - just the right finish with that panto. The D9P looks great, don't move a thing - ya can't overthink those things. A simple black binding is a lovely finish.

Quilty Conscience said...

I agree! The D9P is perfect. The thumbnail pulled me in and the blacks seem to be in just the right places to me. And I often have to remind myself, that no one else is going to hang it up to see how well balanced the colors are! Toni

Kelly Young said...

the t-shirt quilt is really fun, and I just love the colors of your D9P with the black! awesome!

-Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

Julie in GA said...

I never would have thought to use black in those 9 patches, but I love the way it turned out as a D9P!

Kate said...

Love your OSU Quilt. I'm binding my OSU quilt this afternoon.

Alycia said...

I agree - the Seaweed panto looks great!!