Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Tip Tuesday! - Organization, Part 2

"Tip Tuesday!" - Organization, Part 2

I love learning new things and then sharing that knowledge with my quilting friends. So, every Tuesday I'll provide some tips, hints, tricks, tutorials, shortcuts, etc. that I've learned over the years and share them here on the blog. 

"Tip Tuesday" will be a collection of information about a wide variety of subjects garnered from a large variety of sources.  I am not an expert by any means and do not take credit for being the great wizard behind all of these hints and tips. I will gladly give due credit whenever possible.

These tips will be archived and accessible to you just by clicking on the "Tip Tuesday" tab above. 

Read, enjoy, and be inspired! 


Maybe it's the new year.

Maybe it's because I am just plain tired of the mess. 

Whatever the reason, I am in organization mode. 

Slowly but surely I will get not only my quilting area organized but other parts of the house as well.


One of the biggest problems I have in all areas of my house are those little items that I need, but don't know where or how to store them. I don't want to see them, but I want them easily accessible.

I've tried baskets, but then everything just ends up in the bottom and a mess because I have to root through everything to get the item I want. 

Image result for images of storage baskets

I've tried plastic storage containers but they never seem to be the right size and they tend to end up like the baskets. If I use a bunch of small individual containers, I run out of room to store them.


I've also used over the door shoe organizers and even though they work well in some areas, they are usually too long for in my sewing area. They work great for a lot of different craft items like paint and supplies that I can keep on the inside of a closet and away from the little hands of curious children.


I know. I'm picky! Maybe being picky is just my excuse for not getting organized. Well, I also have to admit that I am cheap. I'm sure I could find exactly what I need if I was willing to spend a bunch of money. Mmmmmm, maybe that's the real problem. But I'd be using money that could be used for quilting and even though it's kind of related, I think I'd rather buy more fabric or another book. (Like I need any more of either of those things!)

There is a possible solution.

A couple of years ago, while wandering around the internet, I happened upon a website call The Complete Guide to Imperfect Homemaking

I bookmarked the site and went back to it a number of times but never did anything about it. Until now...

Kelly has a tutorial on how to make this organizer for any size that you need. DUHHHHH, why didn't I think of that? 


I've taken some measurements and plan to make one of these for the area right next to my sewing machine, one for the end of the shelf unit next to my cutting area, and one for next to the pressing station. 

I think I may make one for each of the cabinet doors in both bathrooms and one for under the kitchen sink. The grandkids play area sure could use one too!

Oh this is going to get crazy! I'm going to start to get all of those little things organized. I can feel it.  :-)

Check out Kelly's tutorial HERE. She has a whole bunch of other ideas too, so plan to spend a little time perusing her site. 

No, it's not wasted time. It's research time.  :-)  

No comments: