Monday, September 10, 2018

Design Wall Monday

It's been a while since I posted, but I've been awful busy and something had to give. I'm thrilled that I've had a bit of sewing time and have something to show today. Yay!

Before pictures, I have to provide a little back story about a couple of things I've been doing. This past weekend was the first Ohio Amish Country Quilt Festival and I was asked to present a Triangle Frenzy School House Program on Thursday. I did and it was a lot of fun! 

Because of an emergency situation, on of the teachers for a Saturday class had to cancel and I was asked if I could fill in for her. She was scheduled to teach Tumbling Triangles, a Dub Tucker pattern. 



Although I had experience with a few of the specialty rulers that Deb Tucker uses with her patterns, I had never used the V Block Tool. I did a quick internet search and watched a YouTube video and I decided that if I could get my hands on the tool and a pattern, I could make the quilt and teach the class. 

Things didn't turn out exactly as planned and I did not get either the pattern or tool until Friday morning. Yikes! I was stressing out, thinking that there was no way I was going to have even a small quilt top done in time for the class.

Well someone was watching over me because a woman working in one of the booths at the Festival (Sue), heard me talking about the situation with a couple of the organizers. She said that she had a Tumbling Triangles quilt top and the pattern in her hotel room. Sue really didn't know why she stuck it in her luggage, but she did and I was welcome to use it for the class. She was a life saver and I was so happy!

I spent Friday learning to use the tool and making some blocks in between talking with Festival participants at the Chestnut Ridge Sewing booth. I got one of each of the four blocks made as well as all the pieces needed for a step by step visual of how to make each block. I was so relieved to not have to make the entire quilt top!

The class went well and the students were wonderful. At the beginning of the class, I explained the situation and they were appreciative of the fact that the class was not canceled. The were also ok with a sample that was only a quilt top and step by step visuals that did not match the sample. I sure did luck out with that group!

I spent yesterday getting myself reorganized and prepped for some presentations I will be doing this coming weekend at Gathering Stitches in Holmes County. After I was feeling pretty good about the status of that prep work, I decided that I REALLY wanted to do some sewing before heading to bed. I pulled out the bag in which I put all the Tumbling Triangles pieces, reorganized it, and sewed the rest of the small triangle units. I completed all nine of the A Blocks and have all the triangles units made for Blocks B-D. 

Since I was thinking that I needed to make a sample very quickly, I chose to make the 40" version rather than the larger one that I like. Each of the triangle units measure 3" finished, so the block is only 6" x 6".  Here's a picture of the nine A Blocks. (They will not be placed side by side in the quilt.) 


I have all the triangle units for the other blocks sewn and ready to press and trim. You can see what Blocks B-D will look like in the picture below. 


For some reason, the picture I took of Sue's quilt, along with my step by step visuals did not work on my phone camera. That makes me a bit sad because I really wanted you to see her version. She used an off-white background and a Kaffe Fasset fabric for the triangles. I am making mine reversed. The background on my quilt will be the dark blue and the triangles will be the light blue. I can't wait to see how this turns out. 

I'm hoping to get this quilt top completed soon and perhaps make another one, only larger. :-)

What are you working on today?

Check out some quilting eye candy at 


and


4 comments:

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I love it when things conspire so beautifully; how awesome that Sue had the quilt top with her! I think it's awesome you were able to step in and teach the class on such short notice.

Bonnie said...

Gold stars for you for helping out at the last minute! I love Deb's rulers. I've never noticed that particular pattern -- must check it out at next quilt show i go to that she is vending at. Thanks for sharing this neat pattern. And, bonus! I already own the ruler.

Run 'n Stitch said...

Ok, so how weird is that, a random woman happens to have the pattern and a quilt top you need. I'm so very happy it all turned out and I sure like the quilt!

Suze said...

Most quilters, like Sue, are very generous with their time and materials. Due to your innate quilting talent and teaching forte along with Sue's generosity, the two of you are certainly a "Dyanmic Duo" to pull off an almost impossible task to have the class not only go forth as planned but also be a great success. Of course, most quilters are also usually very accomodating under unique circumstances, too. God certainly had the right people in all the right positions to make this a wonderful act of grace, mercy and dignity on the parts of all. I have never used any of Deb's rulers and really would like to do so. I've looked into the situation and to find a certified instructor, I think I would have to travel 1.5 hours. That's difficult to believe when I live in the Tulsa area. That's quite a challenge for me since I have a disability where I never know when my energy level is going to be zapped and I'm down for the count. I can get very sleepy or just have no energy to continue doing anything. I used to have a good friend with whom I could have taken a class and that situation no longer exists. That's just too far for me to travel by myself. My son lives about 1/2 hour further into Arkansas from the shop. A friend went with me to get my granddaughter and take her back home. However, she is not a quilter. If it's meant to be, it'll happen. Also, some of the classes you have to have prior experience with some other rulers first. I have lots of other things on my agenda first. Thanks for sharing a very heart warming story.