Saturday, September 27, 2008

I really do complete some things....

I know that I may not post very often, but I do get some projects completed every once in a while! I've been working on some UFOs and am finally seeing some progress. I completed an old BOM from a couple of years ago (ok I'm sure it's more like 5 or 6 years ago, but who's counting?). This was a Quilts and Kreations BOM and it was all in batiks. I really liked the project when I was piecing the blocks, but I put it aside until I decided what layout I wanted and then it was put aside to decide how to quilt it. I finally decided to do an all-over meander and be done with it. It is bound and already given away (as are all the quilts that I am showing here)!



The next two quilts are king sized and they were really fun to make, but I knew they would be a pain to quilt so they just got set aside. There was no real destination for them when I started, but of course once I got them out to work on again, the decision was easy. A friend of mine belongs to a church which is raising money for their maintance and repair fund. I sold these to her to sell in the auction. I was really pleased at how well they turned out and am sorry that I don't own them anymore. Oh well, I know they were used for a good cause.








The first quilt is a single block Carpenter's Star, which was very quick and easy to make. The second quilt is just a couple of blocks that I liked together. I don't really have a name for it, but I like it. I know the pictures are not great, but I was home by myself and couldn't figure out any other way to take the pictures. I don't have any place to hang something this large (106" x 106") which is what I can do with some smaller quilts. Does anybody have suggestions on better ways to take pictures of really large quilts when you are alone?


The last quilt here is the one that I made for Jack's son David and his fiance Rachel. I gave it to them at the shower this past Saturday. This one is large also, about 101" x 101", and was quick to make. They had registered for a comforter that had the same colors as this one, but the one they chose had circles on the fabric. I decided that I didn't want to work with circles, so I went with squares instead. I knew that Rachel wanted a quilt but that she didn't want one that was too feminine looking. I think this design is pretty "gender neutral." I like this design and I think I will make one for me to keep. Now I just have to decide on colors!

I have taken the plunge and decided to enter a swap. (Thanks Kare. It was your exeriences with swaps that made me decide to do it.) The swap is for 6" blocks made in browns and pinks (no 9 patches). I have four sets completed and can do as many as 6. I will decide after updating this blog if I'm going to do more, but I probably will, since I don't really have to have them mailed out until Monday.) I'll take pictures of my blocks and post them later.

Ok, I'm off to look at my brown and pink fabrics and decide what I'm going to do. Or maybe I'll just go watch the rest of the Indians game. They just scored 6 in the 5th inning and that was fun! I always find this time of year a bit sad because the baseball season is coming to a close and I am not a fan of basketball.

Have a great night everyone!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Joanne,
No wonder that I haven't seen you in a while. You have been a busy beaver. Also I wanted to let you know that I have your Take 5 quilt here at home so that I can finally quilt it for you! Do you remember what it even looks like? Stop into the shop soon or e-mail me! Rachel