It's My Turn!
I am excited to be a part of this Hop! Thanks for all the organizing Carol, and for inviting me to join you.
Be sure to check out all of today's participants and their wonderful creations. The list, with links, is at the bottom of my post.
I started with these fabrics and had high hopes for a wonderfully fun quilt. The plan was to have at least one square from each of my red stash fabrics in this quilt so I could use the finished project as both my blog hop quilt and my inventory quilt.
Sadly, this is the status of that project - packed up and put into time out until I can get it to play nice and look like the quilt that's in my head. 😒
When I packed up this quilt on Feb. 5th, I realized that I had scramble to come up with a project to show for this hop and that I can always figure out what to do for my inventory quilt later. So I went with Plan B - finish a UFO! I had already made this fun top, but had not quilted it.
I put it up on the design wall, trying to decide how I wanted to quilt it and it didn't take long to decide that simple straight line quilting was the answer.
I quilted a line straight through the middle of each the 1" strips and am very happy with that choice.
The next question was on how to bind this. I was going to go "safe" and simply use scraps of red, but my husband Jack was not thrilled with that idea. He wanted a completely different (and stark) color, so I started pulling fabric. When I pulled out this blue, he said he liked it, but it wasn't quite right. When I suggested the red flange, we knew we had a winner!
If you've read my blog much, you know that I love to take pictures of quilts from an angle. So here they are. :-)
I hung the quilt on the shop to get pictures and left it up, knowing that Lynn and family would be stopping by. I thought it would be fun for the kids to see it.
They like the quilt and I love this picture!
I still wanted to make this project as an inventory quilt, so I got to thinking about what I wanted to do. In the mean time, the clock was ticking. Inspiration struck when I saw a Modern Fans quilt by Suzy Quilts.
I went back to my stash and cut a rectangle of each my reds (I had to cut a few duplicates), and started playing around.
I auditioned quite a few options for the solid colored blocks and was thrilled to find this aqua in my stash. I think it's perfect!
Here are the obligatory side views...
Simple quilting works for me.
And of course I need a picture from the back.
Did you see the little touch of red on the bottom right side?
I wanted to add something special to the binding. I like it!
I put my label on the back, at the same spot.
Taking quilt pictures is always "interesting" for me, especially in the cold weather. I always struggle to find a place to hang the quilts, especially to change up the background. About a year ago, I stumbled upon a blog post (I can't remember the blog though, which makes me sad!) about taking fun quilt pictures. I was surprised to read that she uses Scotch Rough Surface painters tape. I skeptically tried it and was pleasantly surprised.
It is especially wonderful when it's not too cold; but it works great most of the time. I think it looks kind of funny though. :-)
Check out the rest of today's bloggers. They have some awesome projects to share.
Everyone Deserves a Quilt - This is ME! :-)