Monday, November 8, 2010

Design Wall Monday

There's lots going on here, and unfortunately not all of it's quilting. I have a number of project that need attention so I have three things "on" my design wall today.

I finished the top for the wedding rings quilt. (Does anyone else still have Halloween quilts up, or is it just me? Also, don't you love the feet that many quilts seem to have when we take pictures of them?)

I have to add the embroidery, quilt and bind it. I think I'm going to add a red piping when I do the binding. I was just going to bind it in red, but I think that will be too much, so I think just a sliver of red next to black binding will be perfect. I'm going to be using some gold metallic thread to quilt parts of this and I can't wait to see how that turns our. Cross your fingers. :-)

I laid out 26 of the 30 hexagon blocks that I have done just so I could take a look at it. I'm really liking how this is turning out.

I'll be adding half blocks to the sides and filling in with white hexagons rather than applique this to a background like I did with this wallhanging. I know this will take me a while yet, but I know I'll have some "hand work time" soon and I wanted to get excited all over again about this project. I'm not setting any goals here for completion time, but I'm hoping to be quilting this at the next sisters' weekend in June.

Here are the "waste" triangles from my scrappy 16 patch and x block quilt.

I decided to keep these and make them into half square triangles for a miniature project. These will finish 1" and I'm not sure what I'll make, but I'll think of something. I've been sewing these as leaders and enders and I'll continue to do so until they are all done. The scrappy 16 patch and x block quilt is all sewn into rows and I've started sewing the rows together. Next up, the borders. I've been playing around with that and will make my final decision soon. Check back soon for pictures of that!

Check out what other quilters have on their design walls by going to Judy L.'s Patchwork Times.

3 comments:

Chris said...

I don't have any Halloween quilts up but I do keep my Christmas quilt out year round.

Diane said...

nice projects going on love the hexi's and yes I have a few halloween quilts still out---they're so cute tho'....

Denise :) said...

I still have my candy corn topper out, does that count? Love your hexagon layout -- it's beautiful!