Monday, April 2, 2018

Design Wall Monday

After a really busy week and some computer issues, I'm back and even have another project on the design wall. (Sorry if I didn't respond to your comments last week. I will get to those later today as well as new ones.)


This was a kit from Craftsy called Star Light Star Bright using the Madison Park fabric from Lily & Loom. A friend, who is a new quilter, fell in love with the picture on the Craftsy website and I agreed to let her buy one for me and in return I'd work with and teach her along the way. It was on sale and it really was a great deal.  😊  We got the kits in early December of last year and had hopes of getting the quilts made by the end of the year or beginning of January. 

The kit consisted of a pack of 42 - of 10" squares, binding fabric (a very generous amount), and the pattern. While the fabrics are beautiful and fun, the instructions were a bit lacking. It really wasn't difficult to figure out, but for a new quilter, it was a challenge and I rewrote the instructions for my friend. We were able to work on her quilt in early January and she did an awesome job. I didn't work on mine at the same time, but instead chose to concentrate on hers. She's thrilled with her quilt and already using it.

As I said, I didn't make mine with her, but decided that since I've had it out for almost four months now, I might as well sew it rather than pack it up and put it in a tub. Plus, since it uses 10" squares, I can use this as a sample for my "Using Pre-Cuts Demonstrations." Yay! I started making the HSTs as a leader/ender project and before I knew it, my blocks were ready to put on the wall. 


My fabric placement and layout is quite different from the picture on the website, but I'm happy with my choices. Here's the picture from the Craftsy site. I'm sure you can understand why my friend fell in love with this quilt!  


My blocks are sewn into rows and I just have to sew the rows together and quilt this puppy. My goal is to do this week, but we'll see.

The Totally Tulips quilt that was on the wall last week is done and I'm in the middle of quilting it. I didn't get a picture of the completed top, but I will get one and posted when it's quilted. 

What are you working on today?

Check out some quilting eye candy at


and

3 comments:

Mary Johnson said...

Somehow I must have missed that one on Craftsy! I’ve bought a bunch of discounted kits over the last few years. Sometimes I make the quilt from the pattern and sometimes I just use the fabric. I like the simplicity of this one and have saved a photo for my inspiration file.

Judy Hansen said...

Nice use of 10 inch squares - I made a note of this one and put it with my baby quilt fabrics. Thanks for linking with Design Wall Monday, always like to see what you are making, Judy

Christina said...

This is an awesome quilt top! I love the colors, and such a simple design, but you could play wit the use of colors. Congrats on a great finish.