Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Secret Sewing Reveal - Prism

I love being able to show off my secret sewing projects

Remember these fabrics? 


I had them all nicely labeled and ready to sew in this picture. (I pulled all of these from my stash and I was really happy to be able to do that!)


These fabrics are now this awesome 42" x 52" quilt called Prism, by Tammy Silvers of Tamarinis


I am really happy with how this quilt looks! Amazingly, no templates or paper piecing was used to make this. Instead, it's a technique that Tammy calls guided improv, and it's wonderful!

This pattern is very well-written and easy to follow. Like most other quilt projects, labelling is the key to success here; and once you get the hang of the guided improv technique (it doesn't take long), this project goes together very quickly. Besides well-written instructions, the pattern includes really good diagrams and charts to make peicing this a pleasure.  

Here's a picture of the original quilt. Isn't it amazing how using different fabrics can result in very different looking quilts? I love that the pattern includes a coloring page so you can audition your fabric choices. :-)


Tammy's quilt was made using her beautiful Island Batik's Icicle line, and I think it has such a wonderful soothing feel to it. You've got to check out Tammy's website to see this line used in some other quilts. They are stunning!

This picture makes me think of radio waves, but could just be the Ham Radio Operator in me.  :-)


I wasn't totally sure about the fabric gradation effect when I pulled fabrics for this, but I'm very happy with the results.


Because the piecing was guided improv, I decided to do the same with the quilting. I dropped my feed dogs and used the long, sharp diamonds as my guide. I'm happy with the results.


I used my left over fabrics to piece the back because I didn't want to put any of these fabrics back into my stash; plus, I didn't want to buy backing fabric. When I pulled the fabrics, I knew that I would have very little excess of the diamond fabric, but I was happy to have a piece that I could use for the center of the backing. 


I think the quilting looks fun on the back too!


My husband has claimed this quilt and it hangs near his favorite reading spot in our "fireplace room."  It's nice and cozy in the room and I love seeing the quilt on the wall. 

I forgot to mention that I sewed the binding on with a small flange of the yellow diamond fabric and love how that looks too. 


This pattern is now available on the Tamarinis website. Trust me; you will love making this quilt!

I have a couple of other secret sewing projects that I'll share in the next few days, so check back often.  

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That is awesome!! I can’t wait to see it in person.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

What a cool, vibrant design and finish!

MaryD said...

Beautiful! I'm not surprised your husband claimed this quilt! I love your colors and the gradation is perfect. I also love how your "diamonds" are slightly shorter than in her original which allow more of the gorgeous browns and blacks in that beautiful gradation to show.