Sunday, January 30, 2022

Special Quilt from 2013

Jack and I made a quick trip to the library Saturday to pick up some books that had been ordered in for us. There was also a special Lunar New Year celebration that sounded interesting, so we scheduled our trip around that. 


Ring in the year of the tiger at our sixth-annual, all-ages Lunar New Year party! We'll celebrate with plenty of food you can take home, games, and crafts for attendees. Learn about the lunar calendar, nosh on traditional and Asian-fusion treats, and have an all-around fantastic Saturday!

Pick up a take-out container filled with handmade dumplings, noodles, sticky sesame wings, rice cakes, and more. Stick around to make tiger masks and pellet drums, and be prepared for plenty of fun! 

We enjoyed ourselves, learned some interesting things, and even walked out with lunch. :-)

While we were there, I took a few minutes to go to the Children's Section. 

In 2013, I was honored to make a quilt for the re-opening of the library. I blogged about it HERE.


The quilt hangs on the back wall of the Children's Section and can be seen from the main area. Of course I've seen it many times over the years, but I hadn't really looked at it closely for quite some time.


I will admit that this was a bit challenging for me, as all of the blocks had been made using paint - sometimes multiple layers of paint - and the blocks were stiff. Looking at it now, I wish that I had found a more fun way to lay out the blocks, but I am certainly NOT criticizing my work. 


I think the thing I like best and remember most about this quilt was being present during the unveiling. It was fun to see youngsters looking for their blocks and showing them off to their parents. I was also excited to meet the artists and let them tell me about their blocks. 


Sometimes it's just plain nice to look back at the quilts we've made and reminisce about the process.

2 comments:

Needled Mom said...

It's a timeless classic for those children too! Perhaps you inspired a few new quilters in the process.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

What a nice piece and love the whole participation into it. Our guild made three wallhangings for the local library for each of the different age children's sections.