Monday, July 11, 2011

Design Wall Monday

I'm still working away on the Honor Flight quilts and I've finished 11 of them. The 12th one (or at least 1/3 of it), is on the design wall now. I've been working on these as leader/ender projects or two at a time so I'm okay with them not being done yet. I have until mid-August to finish them, and since I'm going to quilt them with a basic meander or all-over stitch the quilting shouldn't take too long. Of course, there's still the binding, but I really enjoy binding so I don't see that being much of a problem. Beside, I can bind while I'm watching baseball.  :-)

This 12th one definitely takes a bit more concentration than the last two did. It's a little deceiving, but this isn't just 4-Patch units with some stars stuck in there. I have to be careful of the layout or the pattern changes. So you can see the difference, here's the one that I was working on last Design Wall Monday.
Here's one that I finished earlier today. It's an adaptation of the quilt that I'm raffling off for this year's 3-Day Breast Cancer walk. It has a whitish border that you can't see because of the white design wall! I just read someplace that your design wall should be covered with black batting or fabric so the colors "pop." Well, this just proves that theory, now doesn't it?
Here's the raffle quilt. Do you see the similarities? I decided to go less scrappy and not have the pieced border on the Honor Flight quilt because it can only be 36" x 48". The raffle quilt, on the other hand is 84" x 104". I am going to bind the Honor Flight quilt with scraps of all the reds and blues, so that should help make it a bit more "interesting."
Each of the Honor Flight quilts is unique and most are a smaller or adapted version of another quilt I've made. I didn't want to simply make red, white and blue blocks of whatever project I was working on because the blocks would have more than likely been 10"-12" and I decided that I wanted to make the blocks more to scale with the overall size of the quilt. I know it's more work, but I just would not be happy the other way.

Check out what other quilters have on their design walls today. Go to Jude L.'s Patchwork Times.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You posted this at 6:10am? Are you freakin serious? I feel like such a slacker posting after 9am . . .

Joanne said...

I was up to go to Tai Chi and decided to do it before I left. Don't feel bad, Judy hasn't posted yet but that's probably because she's baking bread, preparing her lunch and supper meals and going through the motions of tending to the animals that she doesn't have anymore (old habits are hard to break). I'm always amazed at how much she does.

Gail said...

I don't know which I like best, they are all so nice.

Bonnie said...

nice job on all of them!