Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Tip Tuesday! - Label It

Welcome to
"Tip Tuesday!"


I love learning new things and then sharing that knowledge with my quilting friends. So, every Tuesday I'll provide some tips, hints, tricks, tutorials, shortcuts, etc. that I've learned over the years and share them here on the blog. 

"Tip Tuesday" will be a collection of information about a wide variety of subjects garnered from a large variety of sources.  I am not an expert by any means and do not take credit for being the great wizard behind all of these hints and tips. I will gladly give due credit whenever possible.

These tips will be archived and accessible to you just by clicking on the "Tip Tuesday" tab above. 

Read, enjoy, and be inspired! 



Tip Tuesday! - Quilt Labels

I know you've all heard that we need to label our quilts, but I'll be the first to admit that I don't always do it. I know! I really should do it, but honestly, sometimes I just forget. I've been known to write information about the quilt on the binding, so I'm kind of labeling it, but is that enough? I'm not sure.

If I've made a quilt for someone in particular or for a special event, I usually do put a label on it to commemorate the event. But, I make lots of class samples, "just because I like the pattern" quilts, and quilts because I want to try a new technique. A lot of these get donated or given away and I hate to admit it, but many of those don't get labeled or marked in any way. 

A few weeks back, I decided that I really need to make a concerted effort to label ALL of my quilts, at least with the date an pattern name.

I've been thinking about the best way to label quilts because I usually don't want a big label that draws a lot of attention. I want something small that kin of blends in with the rest of the quilt, yet has all the necessary information on it. 

Well, about a week ago, I was reading Pat Sloan's blog and she had a post about quilt labels. I really liked how her labels looked and how she presented the tutorial on how she makes them. So, rather than me trying to reinvent the wheel (quilt label in this case), here's the link to Pat's post.


So, if you aren't labeling your quilts on a regular basis, maybe this will help you. I'm going to give it a try. Thanks Pat!

1 comment:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

This is a topic we are adding to next year's quild program - labeling. Sample label, how to's, links to tutorials and U-tube (we are trying to get our members a little more computer savy), and members themselves sharing their tips.