Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Tip Tuesday! Machine Applique Help

"Tip Tuesday!" - Machine Applique

I love learning new things and then sharing that knowledge with my quilting friends. So, every Tuesday I'll provide some tips, hints, tricks, tutorials, shortcuts, etc. that I've learned over the years and share them here on the blog. 

"Tip Tuesday" will be a collection of information about a wide variety of subjects garnered from a large variety of sources.  I am not an expert by any means and do not take credit for being the great wizard behind all of these hints and tips. I will gladly give due credit whenever possible.

These tips will be archived and accessible to you just by clicking on the "Tip Tuesday" tab above. 

Read, enjoy, and be inspired!

*********************************************

 
Do you steer away from machine applique because you aren't quite sure how to handle the corners and turns? I used to, but not any more.

 
I have a really good friend who doesn't like to do machine applique so much so that she calls it "appli-pukey"! That always makes me laugh, but maybe I can get her to change her mind.
 
I will admit that applique is not my favorite thing to do, but I don't mind it nearly as much as I used to. There is a lot of help out there and I've done my fair share of reading books and watching tutorials.
 
I usually didn't have much problem with the curves, but oh those corners and points! I'll tell you, I am not embarrassed to admit that I've had some really ugly applique, but I am much better now.
 
 
Once you've mastered the inside and outside corners, it's time to work on those sharp points. I know from personal experience that if you don't do this properly, you'll "cut off" the tips and lose the entire effect of the point. Not good!  

 
I am a visual learner and the following link has a bunch of valuable information and LOTS of pictures. There are even videos to help guide you through the process. Yippee!!
 
Check it out and then challenge yourself to a bit of applique. I know you can do it! 
 



No comments: