Monday, February 29, 2016

Design Wall Monday

My goal is to post at least a couple of times this week and since I have something on the wall, I'll start with design wall Monday. Yeah! 

This is one of the 2.5" strip quilts on which I've been working. It's a variation of my Framed Rectangles quilt. I love how versatile this pattern is!

Framed Logs - Jelly Roll Quilt, 2 1/2" strips

This quilt went together very quickly because I made it using strip sets. The print fabric is Just My Type and I've used that for a few other quilts as well. Remember my version of Sparkling Gemstones? These two quilts have the same print fabrics, but look very different. I like them both!  :-)

Sparkling Gemstones, Jelly Roll Quilt, 2.5" strips

The roll on had 25 strips in it, but since the quilt only needed 18 strips, it was perfect. The remaining 7 strips will be my binding. (I love it when the math works out perfectly the first time!)

To get more of a variety, I cut each 2.5" strip in half and then made 6 strip sets that included three print strips and two black strips, and 6 sets that consisted of three print strips and two grey strips. After sub-cutting each strip set into three rectangles that measured 6.5" x 10.5". I then added the corresponding black or grey strips to complete the blocks. Easy Peasy!

There was one extra grey block, but since I wasn't sure how I was going to lay this out, I decided to make equal amounts of the blocks and make my decision after laying them out. As you can see, I opted for the 18 black blocks and 17 grey. I thought it created a better balance to have the four corners be black. I am very please with this so far.

I have the backing ready. I'm using the same backing I did for the Sparkling Gemstones, but since this quilt is larger and I had to piece it, I simply added a black strip of fabric down one side. I forgot to get a picture of the backing, but here is the picture from Sparkling Gemstones. I'll be sure to take a picture of the back when I get the Framed Rectangle Variation Quilt done.

 
 
Although I love the look of the black and white stripe binding on Sparkling Gemstones, I am using the left over strips from the fabric roll for the new quilt, and I'm excited to see how it will looks. I don't often use a scrappy binding (Jack doesn't really like them), I think this one will be perfect.  My goal is to have this one quilted and bound by the end of the week.

What are you working on today?
 
To see what other quilters have on their design walls, go to
 
 
or
 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That strip quilt is a beauty. I love the effect of the two different blocks. Great job!!

Preeti said...

Both of them are lovely. Quick and Pretty - what more could a quilter ask for!!! The sparkling gemstones is a favorite of mine too.
http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com

Nann said...

I can imagine the design in different colorways, or just plain scrappy. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Very nice! That first one is similar to a Pattern that Judy L wrote for our QOV sew in - and I loved it in the patriotics - but LOVE your colors!!!!