Tuesday, August 18, 2020

On the Wall Today

I missed posting yesterday, hence the title of this post is "On the Wall Today." I kind of like that and will have to remember to use it more often. It makes it sound like I didn't miss a deadline.  lol

I've got a handful of things on which I'm working that I can't show, but I'm happy to say that I am also working on a few things that can be shared. 

While attempting to clean up the mess in my sewing area, I came across some loose 10" squares that were left over from another project. Rather then put them away, I decided to use them. Yep, I'll do just about anything to put off cleaning. 😅 I pulled one of my "go to" Layer Cake projects, Picket Fence by Busy Hands Quilts and started doing some math. (See, even doing quilting math is better than cleaning!) 

I have an older copy of the pattern, which includes six size options. (The new one has seven!) I had enough to make the baby size (I'd have some squares left over), but not enough to make the lap. Since I want to use all of the squares I have, I decided to make my own size.   

I pulled out my favorite prints because those would not be cut and then found a coordinating fabric that I liked. Of course I had to decide the order that those squares would be used. I'm kind of a control freak like that. 


I started sewing this project as a leader/ender while working on a secret sewing quilt and it's coming together very quickly. 


Here is a perfect example why it is important to take a picture before I start sewing everything together! Do you see my mistake? My bottom two rows are wrong. I laid out the pieced blocks in the wrong orientation. 

This is much better!


When finished, this quilt should measure approximately 48" x 66". I may add a border or two, if I can find something in my stash. If not, it's no big deal. I like it like this.

I need to get back to working, so I'll share pictures of another project tomorrow.

2 comments:

Pamela Arbour said...

I really like how that came together. I don’t think anyone would have noticed your mistake. It took me a while to find it after you mentioned it.

Myra @ Busy Hands Quilts said...

Such a neat quilt in Picket Fence. I've made that exact mistake in a Picket Fence quilt but didn't notice until it was being photographed. :}