Monday, January 12, 2015

Design Wall Monday

I've been finishing up some projects lately and I'm excited about that. I need to get some good pictures to post here, but it may be a while before that happens.

I'm still working on adding the pieced borders to  Lynn and Ty's quilt, and I hope to have that ready for quilting by the end of the week. Of course I don't have the backing fabric yet, but I'll be ready for it. :-)

I have a project on the wall that I can't show just yet. It's for an upcoming We Support You Blog Hop.  It's fun and I'm really looking forward to showing that off to you all.  

What I am working on is something that has been in the works for quite a long time and if you've been reading my blog for any length of time, you've probably seen these before. Well, not really these actual blocks, but some like them.

Yep! I'm back to my hand pieced Grandmother's Flower Garden. 

Hexagons - Grandmother's Flower Garden - Hand Piecing

I always like to have a hand project sitting around and since I've finished all of the bindings that were ready, I pulled this out again. The timing to work on these is perfect. I enjoy watching the football playoff and college bowl games, but I don't like just sitting there to watch them. I can be sewing and enjoying football at the same time. The only way it could be better is if I was watching baseball.  :-)

Here are a few of the blocks that I've already done. I've staged them so you can see how they will be laid out and sewn together. 


Hexagons - Grandmother's Flower Garden - Hand Piecing

Here's the storage container that holds all of the completed blocks. I'm happy that although I've duplicated fabrics, I've not duplicated any of the blocks exactly. 

Hexagons - Grandmother's Flower Garden - Hand Piecing

Here's a close up of them.

Hexagons - Grandmother's Flower Garden - Hand Piecing

And a side view so you can see how many are completed.

Hexagons - Grandmother's Flower Garden - Hand Piecing

I was quite surprised to take a count and realize that I only have to make nine more blocks before I can start putting them together to create this quilt.

Hexagons - Grandmother's Flower Garden - Hand Piecing

I still have to make the partial blocks, but I'm still pretty darn excited. This project has been a long time in the making and I'm not making any promises or resolutions, but I see some light at the end of that proverbial tunnel.  :-)

What are you working on today?

Check out what other quilters have on their design walls today.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

I just love the blocks and can't wait to someday see the finished quilt. It has family heirloom written all over it.

Nancy: rangerer@sbcglobal.net said...

I have 2 projects going right now. I am making a flannel rag quilt, and I also have an "I Spy" quilt started using hexagons and English paper piecing. What size hexagons are you using for your Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt?