Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Tip Tuesday! - Fabric Organization

"Tip Tuesday!" - Fabric Organization

I love learning new things and then sharing that knowledge with my quilting friends. So, every Tuesday I'll provide some tips, hints, tricks, tutorials, shortcuts, etc. that I've learned over the years and share them here on the blog. 

"Tip Tuesday" will be a collection of information about a wide variety of subjects garnered from a large variety of sources.  I am not an expert by any means and do not take credit for being the great wizard behind all of these hints and tips. I will gladly give due credit whenever possible.

These tips will be archived and accessible to you just by clicking on the "Tip Tuesday" tab above. 

Read, enjoy, and be inspired! 

Is your fabric stash organized and set up in a manageable way? 

I know I previously had a Tip Tuesday! that dealt with organization, but check out the fabric storage system in the picture below. 



I have to admit that while some of my stash is organized, most of it is not. I have kits made up for various projects - some started and some in progress, but the rest of my stash is not in the best possible state. 

I do have most of the stash together by color, theme or "specialty" like in the picture above, but after that, I really am lacking. I have every intention of getting things in better shape, but I really have a difficult time deciding what "system" I want use.

When I saw this picture and tutorial on how to fold the fabric, I thought that this would beat the use of tubs by a long shot.

Although I understand the use of storage tubs and have some of my own, I REALLY like how all of this fabric is folded and stored on shelves. I find it cumbersome to have large tubs because I can't see all of the fabric and if I use small tubs, they never seem to be quite big enough for what's in my stash.

I have some shelves and I know I can get some boards. 
I AM GOING TO DO THIS!

Here are the sizes she uses, but I'm guessing you can easily make necessary adjustments.

Name:  Attachment-3120.jpe
Views: 33073
Size:  34.6 KB

Click HERE to see all the information you need to get your stash looking like a mini quilt shop.

I'm going to give this a try and I'll let you know how it works for me. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this method.

1 comment:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I fold very similar but without boards and the fabric is stacked. I have only one shelving unit for this. The smaller pieces are folded similar but kept in platic shoe boxes (dollar store) by color and they have their own shelving. Pre-cuts have their own shelving where I also keep my 'in-progress' projects (in totes).