Sunday, December 23, 2018

Star Patch QAL Backing

My backing is done for my Star Patch quilt! 

Amber Johnson of Gigi's Thimble pieced her backing with more nine patches and I love that. 


I decided to do something a little different. The wind made getting a picture quite difficult, but I think you get it.  :-)


First of all, my quilt top is rectangular instead of square and Amber placed her nine patch blocks through the center of the backing. Knowing that I would never be able to keep the pieced section centered on this quilt, I chose to place it near the top of the backing. 

I know that these blocks do not quite go along with the front of the quilt, but I had eight big half square triangle pieces left over after making the star points. I decided that I wanted to use them instead of setting them aside or throwing them away. 


I was able to cut three 3.75" half square triangles from each of the left over pieces.



There is still quite a bit of fabric left over, so I've cut that into squares and rectangles and put those pieces into their respective scrap containers. 


So you can see the pieced unit a bit better, here's a picture of the backing, folded in half. 


I'm happy with this and look forward to quilting it. 

By the way, I've been working on my square version of this quilt and it's close to being done. I've used up all of the extra nine patch blocks that I made and that makes me happy. I'll post a picture soon.

1 comment:

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Lovely backing. I agree that keeping things centered and aligned on a backing can be tricky, so offsetting elements is a wise choice!