Monday, August 30, 2010

Design Wall Monday

Well, the Hexagon Star top is not completely done, but I've started the borders and the star is only basted on the background. I'm liking how this is turning out. I had some other border options but decided on this one because it's relatively simple and I didn't want to distract from the star. I'm thinking that I'll quilt something special in the large open corner areas, perhaps using a variegated holiday thread.



The striped fabric in the first border is the same fabric that I used for my guild retreat quilt, only this time I used it horizontally rather than vertically. I can't find the picture of the finished retreat quilt right now, but I'll keep looking and post it later. My friend Rachel quilted the quilt for me and here's a picture that she took, but it doesn't show the borders.

This quilt (wallhanging) is made entirely from fabric left over from that retreat quilt and I'm really happy about that. I think the finished size will be something like 45" x 55". It feels good to finally use up those Christmas fabrics that have been hanging around my sewing room for a long time! I think I'll inventory the Christmas stash and make pillowcases, stockings, or something else and use up that fabric so I can replace it with more current holiday wares.

Check out what other quilters have on their Design Walls today by going to Judy L.'s Patchwork Times.

2 comments:

Chris said...

I can't wait to see it quilted. What are you putting in the background area?

knittingbrow said...

That's beautiful. I think it would feel great to create a wonderful quilt from scrap fabric.

I want to know who gets this quilt. Is this yours or is it being sold/gifted?