Monday, October 29, 2012

Rag Quilt

While we were at Nikki's she brought out a rag quilt for us to use. I really like rag quilts. They are so warm and easy to make!

When we first got the rag quilt bug a number of years ago, Nikki and Lynn each made a bunch of them. They made a couple for themselves, some for their grandparents, my brother John, my sister-in-law Ellen, and I don't even remember who else. John and Ellen's were made using Monroeville's school colors and they plotted out the blocks so they created a big M. These quilts were large (9" blocks set 9 x 11) and were great during football games!

During this time, Nikki was always sketching out quilt possibilities and there was one really pretty quilt that she drew. I knew she really like it because she started to search my flannel stash and save up money to buy the fabrics she needed. Unbeknownst to her, I took this sketch and made the quilt. I gave it to her on Christmas that year. She was still in high school or in her first year of college, so it probably was made about ten years ago.

Don't you just love it when people use the quilts you make for them? It always makes me feel so good.  :-)


I think I want to make another one similar to this. Now, what should I put in the center?

2 comments:

The Slow Quilter said...

I have made 2, one for me and one large one for my son when he went off to school. I am working on my 3rd for my grandson who is now 3 yrs. old. I hope to finish it for a Christmas present. Yours is great love the center.

Roberta said...

Love it, rag quilts were what my kids all made at a sewing week during summer 9 or 10 years ago. Nice and warm and way forgiving to new sewers. We also made lots for all the nieces and nephews.