Monday, May 30, 2011

Design Wall Monday

Do you ever stop working on a project that's so close to completion you can taste it? I'll admit I do - pretty often, as a matter of fact. (That explains the pile of UFOs, doesn't it?)

Well, I put my Glacier Star back up on the design wall and have pledged to finish it today. I only have 12 more seams. They're Y seams; but still, it's only 12 seams!
Unlike most of my UFOs, I know exactly why this was put away. The final class on this technique of the month class was postponed so I didn't have a deadline staring me in the face. I put it aside to work on the fish projects for Kristen, pillowcases for my Sweet Dreams Project and a couple of other projects. I even did some mending! (A cruel fact of life for quilters is that people think that just because you have a sewing machine and you like to use it, that you enjoy hemming their pants and repairing their shirts. FYI - that's a myth perpetuated by non-quilters!)

Anyway, I'm going to finish the Glacier Star today and leave it on the wall for a little while, just to look at it and ponder my quilting options.

UPDATE: The quilt is DONE!! I'm tearing away the remaining papers. :-)  
Click here to see new pictures.

Even if it's still there next Monday, I'll have other things I'm working on though. My family and I have pledged 12 lap quilts for an area Honor Flight. We're making the 12 quilts in honor of our Dad, Francis J. Schwab, (11/26/1925 - 5/30/2003). That's one quilt for each child. Yep, there are 12 of us and I'm the 9th. We've been blessed to have only lost one parent and one sibling. I hope it stays that way for a VERY long time.
Dad was a veteran of the US Navy, having served as Radio Man First Class on the USS Ingersoll from 1942 - 1946. Seeing as today marks the 8th anniversary of his death, I think it's quite fitting that I spend time today working on those quilts!

Check out what other quilters have on their design wall this Memorial Day by going to Judy L's Patchwork Times.

9 comments:

Rabid Quilter from California said...

The tribute to your dad is wonderful. You must be so proud of him. His wonderful photo was the only thing I could imagine could outshine the photo of your amazing Glacier quilt!! I've seen this one done in many color ways but yours is outstanding! Great job!

Sally Hamilton said...

Glacier quilt is spectacular. My hat's off to you.

Amy said...

Your Glacier Star is fabulous. It is really cool the pledge that your family has made in honor of your Dad.

Sue Daurio said...

Wow, that is stunning, so glad you were able to get it completed. Can't wait to see how you quilt it. The tribute to your dad was really nice,

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

My dad was radioman on the USS Saratoga. He talks about how seasick he was for the entire 18 months he was at sea. They gave him that job because it was the only one on the ship where he could sit with a bucket between his legs for 18 months.

glen

Donna said...

Beautiful quilt. Great job finishing it!

Debbie said...

What a wonderful tribute to your father...I am so grateful to learn of him and his service to our country. Your Glacier Star is stunning...I can't wait to see it pressed and pretty.

Quilter Kathy said...

I know what you mean about once there is no deadline, the project goes farther down the to-do list. It's a fabulous quilt!

Kimberlee said...

That quilt is amazing! What wonderful colors you used.
~Kimberlee